Pilgrim Soul

From Disillusioned American to Future Canadian Citizen And All Points In Between

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Canada – The Journey Begins

Shortly after midterms (I know, midterms in law school, go figure) I’m going to get my passport and related affairs in order, and then travel a couple hundred miles into Canada to hopefully open a simple bank account. This is just the first step.

My next step is organizing the mountain of serious paperwork I have to complete before launching the actual process of obtaining a Canadian Visa. I also have to obtain a medical exam from a small list of eligible doctors, but considering I haven’t had a medical exam in at least 15 years so that’s probably not such a bad idea.

Obtaining a Canadian Visa looks like it will take a little over 2 years, but I believe the investment will be worth it. It is no secret that I have become disillusioned with my country, although I certainly still and always will love my native country - my motives for a Canadian visa are more practical in nature. I would like to practice international law, and therefore being a resident, owning a home and so forth in both countries seems like a smart thing to do.

This is the place where I will chronicle my journey to Canada, the process I went through, and hopefully provide a road map for other Americans interested in eventually investing in Canada.


3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Here is a story for ya

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/americas/11/15/canadian.welcome.ap/index.html

November 15, 2004 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger majqa said...

Oh - how funny. I was actually getting spam (of sorts) from these guys, until I wrote back and texplained to them that I was a law student, and was handling the paperwork process myself.

And in my case - it was $1,950 in fees - plus the landing fee if or when it comes.

The wait period will be at LEAST 2 years. It is not an easy process and the forms and paperwork alone I think deter most applicants. Fortunately, I'm an excellent form-filler-outer person.

I also think most Americans have, or will, cool off about the idea and settle into living in the new American Federal Empire. Then again, I know a lot of people who said the same thing in 2000 and are now 100% serious about moving - and in fact acting on it.

November 15, 2004 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Can you say "international law?"

You could probably hook-up an internship in Toronto in the summer, you know. Check into Wayne State and Michigan State's programs if you need to get an idea of which places will take you (in case Cooley doesn't have a program).

Just a thought.

November 15, 2004 at 3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home